It’s that time again…time for the Top 20 Songs of 2012 decided by me. And we all know that this list is far more important than Billboard or Entertainment Weekly or any other source. So let’s begin, shall we?
20. I Cry by Flo Rida–I’m not a huge FloRida fan, but this song samples some late 80s jams. And I can definitely get on board with that.
19. Sweet Nothing by Calvin Harris featuring Florence Welch–Let’s face it, anything that either of these two touches lately turns to gold. Double it up and it was bound to happen.
18. Love Interruption by Jack White–Not your typical Jack White fare. Probably why I like it so much.
17. Anything Could Happen by Ellie Goulding–I, like most of the world, was introduced to this song via a Beats by Dre commercial. (By the way, there are much better headphones available for far cheaper…just saying.) It’s a damn good song. Damn good.
16. Feel Like a Rock Star by Kenny Chesney featuring Tim McGraw–A great buddy song. It keeps getting stuck in my head.
15. Try by Pink–I was not a fan of Pink’s first single this year. It just didn’t stir my chili, so to speak. This song, though, is so damn true to heart…so raw. The video isn’t too shabby either.
14. One Thing by One Direction–My favorite 1D song of the year. Much better than the others.
13. Don’t Rush by Kelly Clarkson featuring Vince Gill–A jam to be sure. An early 90s country-style jam. I loved this from the first listen.
12. Madness by Muse–I’m not a huge Muse fan, but they put out some great songs from time to time. This is one of them. Ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-mad-mad-mad.
11. Come Over by Kenny Chesney–If you had told me last year at this time that I’d have two K Ches songs on the countdown I would not have believed you. But this song is so…mmmm. Not mmm as in a “I’d like to sex you up” kind of way, but just so damn good.
10. Glad You Came by The Wanted–I’m sick of it now, but I’d be lying if I said this wasn’t my jam earlier this year.
9. Locked Out of Heaven by Bruno Mars–I wanted to hate this song. I refused to listen to it for so long. I don’t care for Bruno Mars. But dammit if that didn’t work. It’s a damn good song…if you like early 80s Police-era music.
8. Wide Awake by Katy Perry–It was a hard choice between this and Part of Me, but Wide Awake has the superior melody by far.
7. Want U Back by Cher Lloyd–Oh, Cher. I wish you hadn’t followed this up with that horrid “Oath” song here in the U.S. I hope your career can recover because your album, despite my initial hesitance, is fabulous.
6. Catch My Breath by Kelly Clarkson–Kelly could do no wrong this year. This song is proof of that.
5. Candy by Robbie Williams–Robbie is baaaaack! This is the Robbie Williams I know and love. And the video is amazing as well. Cheeky. Fun. Perfect.
4. We Take Care of Our Own by Bruce Springsteen–This album was a damn good album and Bruce really lived up to his normal hype this time. Not that he usually doesn’t, but this song in particular made me love his politics even more.
3. Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen--If you don’t like this song I don’t know how to talk to you. Just saying. There was no one who didn’t find themselves singing this at some point in 2012. No one.
2. Some Nights by fun.–Much better than their first major release, “We Are Young.” There’s two good things going for this song–lyrical honesty and musical creativity.
1. Stronger by Kelly Clarkson–Perfect pop song for any year. I remember hearing this last year prior to it’s release as a single and thinking that this was going to be a huge hit. I was not disappointed. There’s no way this song couldn’t be a hit.
So there it is…what songs are in your top 20 of 2012?